Wednesday 12 August 2009

"Where's Your Iranian?! Where's Your Iranian?!"

Game 1 - Port Vale Away. As were the circumstances, I wasn't as optimistic as I usually would have been. My 2 wingmen were absent and I was apprehensive as to Dale's chances. And what turned out to be a good start to the day, was quickly reprehended. Arriving at Hazel Grove station, the guy behind the desk, who knows I'm nearly 17, was more than happy to give me a child ticket (15 and under) for only £3. Now £3 return on top of hopefully a child match ticket would represent good business for a football match. I trudged to the Platform and waited for my train to Stoke. I felt today was a chance to relax more. Usually at this time on a matchday I am pumping my body full of energy drinks (not beer :p) to get myself hyped up and singing without embarrassment. However, today I felt it was probably a tad inappropriate considering I was on my own, wearing a shirt too small for me and reading The Daily Sport (Basically a 50p equivalent to a lads mag, that includes made up transfer rumours, i.e this week - Raul to Stoke and Van Nistelrooy to Notts County)

So I sat down, alone, and read my paper, alone. Up pops the dreaded "Tickets please" You would think that this would be nothing to worry about, I have my ticket, I have already paid. But I knew I'd get a "your never 15" look despite my best efforts (Shaving the bumfluff and leaving my spots unattended) However, this situation is usually avoided, by chanting " Nananananananaaaaa!!! Ticket Ticket Man, Ticket Man, Tiiiiicket Ticket Man!!!" etc until he is so intimidated he just walks straight past (Morally wrong I know, but it works a treat) Today though, not so much. I closed my eyes and said it in my head... but it didn't work. I thought maybe he'd have sympathy, pity for me going to a football match on my own. No chance. Adult fair. Which to be honest, was only an extra £3. So I wasn't on a complete downer.

20 Minutes's into the journey and I nipped to the toilet, only to come across 4 middle-aged Dale fans drinking beer and having a laugh. I gave my usual "Up The Dale" and walked straight past until I heard "Hold On A Second!" I turned to them only to see one bald man, getting rather excited. Your Peter Crouch, the blogger!!! I recognised your shirt" Why did I ever blog that :/
But no, this guy had come across BIP (Big Headed, Iranian, Peter Crouch) through "There's Always Next Year" and had been reading. I went on to talk for ages with these guys about the blog, why I was on my bill and of course, Dale's chances this season. They invited me to stay with them to the game but I politely declined, from which I think they understood. I was comfortable and these guys were in their element. As I walked off I heard them joking, "Where's your Iranian?" (left - where is that iranian??) they shouted in typical football tune fashion. Excellent :)

I had readers, I had fans. I was famous!!! Not quite... but it's a start. Arriving at Stoke I was stumped as to where and how to get to the ground. The walk seemed too much so I crossed the road and took a bus stopping near the ground. On it were a couple of teenage Port Vale fans. Not as friendly as the older fans I admit but there weren't too many dirty looks, to my face that is anyway. The ground was ok, not the best, not the worst, and my seat for the game was on the opposite side to where most of the singing Dale fans were, just about the middle. I was keen to watch today, more than sing, and really see what Hilly had worked on over pre-season, a lot of it, seemed good. I walked over to talk to my mate Chris at half time, who had made the bench for todays game. He said the gaffer seemed happy and at the break we were level, and playing well. Overall we were the better side. A good goal from the ever more impressive Joey Thompson (after some great work from Buckers) was promising. The disputed handball (which obviously sent our fans into uproar) was disappointing, and in all honesty we should have won the game, not drawn it. The plus side obviously, was that we didn't lose it.

The highlight for me today though, was not the game, the cheap prices (got my junior ticket, the guys at the ground really don't care do they?) or the stress free day. It was those 4 fans I met on the train. At half time, as I lent at the front on the boards, I heard "Crouchie, give us a wave, Crouchie, Crouchie give us a wave" A couple of fans had joined in with the guys from the train as they tried to locate my presence. I gave an indignified thumbs up, before the lads turned round as quick as anything, to reply "Where's Your Iranian? Where's Your Iranian?" There must have been 15+ Dale fans chanting this, most of which probably knew nothing of the blog or "the iranian" But it just really made me laugh, and from something I had written on a blog I believed no one was reading. Absolutely first class, and although I didn't catch any of your names, I said I'd mention you so a big thumbs up to you four. Classic, just classic. I hope to see you again soon, I know your not regulars, but I'm sure I'll catch you again this year.

As I end, I must point out: 1. Not a fan of the away kit 2. Very sad to see Alfie go but he follows the trait of selling our best player year on year to keep alive (Platt, Connor, Holt, Lambert, Perkins, Alfie) 3. Glad Buckley seems he is staying until at least January 4. Disappointing to see us roll over against Wednesday although I didn't go to the game due to lack of return trains to Stockport :( 5. WE NEED TO BRING IN SOME MORE PLAYERS! After letting so many go, we have only brought in one outfield player as a replacement??!! Come on HillCroft pull your finger out!

Up The Dale!

1 comment: